Saturday, May 14, 2011

The boy with something wrong

Years ago, my mum would stop by, to visit. When she did, she would love to sit down with a cup of coffee and ring up her friends for a chit chat. Upon many of the conversations . I used to hear her say these word, “I came to visit my grandson, you know the one with something wrong.” It hurts me so much,  but I know it’s not her fault, that’s how she sees him, the boy  that is not normal.

My mum-in law on the other hand feels that I must have sins that resulted in Ivan’s autism.  In the past I just got enraged with these two mothers in my life. But later I come to realize that they don’t have enough information to understand the diagnosis.  Thus, their understanding capacity is just that much. I try to keep my focus on the bigger picture, than to feel hurt when someone throws an insensitive remark.  Helps maintain my sanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment