Monday, July 23, 2012

Why won't you eat?

Feeding little ones, can really be a challenge. Many years ago, I didn't have the luxury of the internet, or ample resources to choose from. But today, we are blessed with so much of information at our finger tips. I wish I could have done more for my boys, in terms of nutrition.

In my twenties, I was a busy full-time working mum, who was a part-time student, pursuing my Early Childhood Credentials. I relied a lot on advice given by the previous generation in terms of raising children. But today, as I prepare for my soon to come little baby, I would do so many things different. First and foremost, not introduce salt too early.

Yesterday, I was on my way to meeting a cousin of mine for lunch, as I was walking to the shopping mall, I noticed a trend. Along the first lift lobby, I passed, I saw a mum unwrapping a piece of cake from its plastic wrapper, and passing it to her little girl on the pram. Was that lunch?

Then as I was on my way, along the playground, I noticed another lady (not sure if it's the mum) doing the same with a curry puff. Was that lunch? Further down, at the traffic light, yet another encounter with a steamed pau. I do not wish to judge, but these mums did not seem like they were rushing off to work. Plus, it was the lunch hour. I cannot say if I would do the same with my child in future, but I wish to try to be mindful of my child's nutritional needs now that I have another chance to do it all over again.

Nutrition is a very important part of a child's growth. In the past, in my household, the kids ate a softer, puréed version of what the adults ate. That's what my mum advised me to do. Some things will have to change in time. The ingredients don't carry the same nutritional value they used to any more. So we have to roll with the times too.

I recall when Ivan was a little boy, he ate a very limited range of food. They all seemed to have one common theme. They all had to be of extreme taste. Either they were very sweet or very spicy. He loved pastries and spicy curry. My mum used to say, that it was part of his DNA to like spicy foods, since we were Indian. There were many subtle signs, which I did not see, back then. I figured he was simply a fussy eater. Never thought too much into it. I

Ivan would refuse anything that was new. He would smell his food first. If it was not a comforting, pleasing, familiar scent, he would refuse it until the end. He was fussy about texture too, he didn't like anything too mushy. As we became aware of the existing autism within him, many thoughts surfaced.

Ivan, was not using speech as a means to communicate, until he was five. Before that, it was just hand gestures and mood swings. Back then I didn't know much about autism, but I wish to share with you today, some things that may help you and your child.

What do you know about food allergies?
I am sure you have a rough idea, foods such as cow's milk, wheat products, eggs, soy products and nuts, are some of them. Some children have these food allergies. Although, these food products may cause a food allergy in your child, its all still manageable, in general. However, should your child be non verbal or have autism, Asperger's, PDD, ADHD, and ADD. Then, the amount of severity that it affects your child is so much more.

Bare with your child if he is trying to tell you something, maybe it could be acid reflux, a headache or even aches and pains. Sometimes, you may see the child exhibit behaviours such as head banging (which is extreme) to food refusal (which is subtle). Which ever it is, pause and ponder, what might you child be trying to tell you.

Currently, I am reading up on food and autism, I will share more as I receive more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment