Monday, April 18, 2011

Where I am today...

I sit at the dining table having my breakfast. As I enjoy my sausage and eggs. I think back to the times, when it was so trying having Jr Autism dine with us.

Actually all meals were the same. Ivan's food had to be cut up into bite size portions. I had to remove the stuff that he would not eat. I had to make sure that all was up to his liking. Then and only then, could I get to my plate. And by then, my food was cold and I was annoyed and hungry no more.

I recall one day, that I snapped during lunch. We went out to dine, and I placed the orders for Ivan and I. Dad and Immanuel chose their own. When the food came, I did what I always did. Since Immanuel ordered chicken, I had to help him cut it up too.

As I was settling all this, I snapped at my hubby who was enjoying his meal. I was so annoyed, why did I have to always do it. He could do it too, giving me a chance to enjoy my dinner too.

He responded to me with a very cool responds, "If you do this all the time, when are they going to learn to do it themselves." I was so angry.... but he had a point. I wanted all to go well, that I ended up fixing everything. I needed to step back for the boys to grow, and explore.

It was a small wake up call for me. I realize that my need to fix things, was making me miserable and resent my hubby for not helping me.

The next day at home. I gave Ivan an omelet to start with, as he loves eggs. I gave him a fork and a knife, and watched. He struggled, mumbled and asked for me to help him. I demonstrated to him, how to cut the omelet. And stood there beside him. After a few tries, he mastered it. When I beheld that sight, I could hear "Hallelujah" in my head. I was so please, that I could tick off something else on the list, he could feed himself independently. -yay

No comments:

Post a Comment