Friday, April 15, 2011

about me

I would like to introduce myself as a passionate person. Whatever I indulge in, I am passionate about. Along with passionate, I am also a perfectionist. And thankfully, now I have learnt to loosen up a little bit.

Like every little girl, I had dreams and ambitions. I wanted to teach, even from a very young age. I grew up and became a preschool teacher. I got married to my sweetheart, I met in my college days. We lived the normal, middle class, Singaporean life. The following year, we were promoted from a couple to parents. Our first born, was a bouncing baby boy. Pretty bright fellow he is. He started talking even before he could walk. And I was so proud of him, as he spoke very well (without Singlish, until much much later).

My hubby and I planned to have kids early, so that we could retire early and travel. I thought that a two year interval would be ideal. I wanted the kids to be close, as they would grow up with similar interests. (I say this because my sis and I are eight years apart, and we hardly had anything in common. The age gap was too wide.) So all went well as we planned. My second son arrived just around the time my elder son turned two. I was happy, life was going as planned. Both my hubby and I worked hard, like every other Singaporean family. Thinking that we would work very hard in our twenties and thirties and the slow down in our fourties as the boys grew. An ideal dream every middle class, Singaporean family carries. Ivan was born, and he was an adorable little angel.

I was pursuing higher education and working all at the same time. My boys were left in the care of a domestic helper, while my hubby and I were out at work. All was going fine.... until one day... my whole world  overturned. It sneaked up on us slowly and eventually, blasted on our faces. Autism that it.

In this blog I will share my journey, and I will be as honest as I can be. Life changed for us the day we heard the word "autism", and has never been the same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment